Monday, July 02, 2007

Help needed - 90s slang

What word meaning 'cool' would most make you think of the 1990s?

a) boss
b) bangin'
c) hype
d) Insert write-in vote here

Here's the context: "Your [CD] collection's pretty _______."

It has to be distinctively 90s. Even though we used 'awesome' back then, we also used it in the 80s and now, more than ever.

In other words, it has to be slang that would make you wince if you heard it today.

Oh, and no hip-hop terms. 'Phat' is out of the question.

Thanks!

A-Z Update: "Maps and Legends" by R.E.M.

Labels: ,

How about "dope"? I'm pretty sure it's a 90s term and it does sound rather dated, no?

--*Rob

Posted by: Blogger Rob at 7/02/2007 11:43 AM

Oh and "the bomb" - which is definitely a 90s term.

--*Rob

Posted by: Blogger Rob at 7/02/2007 11:44 AM

My first instinct was "dope" as well. Also, I would suggest "da bomb" over "the bomb" though. "Shiznit" is definitely out. "On like Donkey Kong" has its own destinctive problems as well. What about "rad" or "radical"? Too 80's? Frankie says relax.

Dave

Posted by: Blogger Yasko at 7/02/2007 1:39 PM

Mark me down for dope, too.

(Oh, the times I've said that...)

Posted by: Blogger Rob S. at 7/02/2007 3:07 PM

I've got to go with "the bomb" as well. That's one I used pretty darn often back in the day. "You're CD collection is the bomb!"

Posted by: Blogger Lesley at 7/02/2007 7:27 PM

My vote is also for "da bomb" or "kickin'"

Posted by: Anonymous Anonymous at 7/03/2007 3:09 PM

Having an inkling (okay, more than an inkling) of who the line is for, I don't like "da bomb." Isn't that hip-hop derived? "Kickin'," I think, would work better (and seems a little more dated to me than dope, which is an extra advantage).

Posted by: Blogger Rob S. at 7/03/2007 3:42 PM

How 'bout...

Your CD collection is all that and a bag of chips.

or

Your CD colletion is the shit.

I'd also vote for bangin'

Posted by: Blogger Vivi Anna at 7/03/2007 3:48 PM

I'll hold off on most comments until the end of the week, but Rob S. is right. I can't picture Shane saying 'da bomb' without cracking up. (Then again, I'm sleep-deprived, so I'll crack up at anything anymore. (Ooh, notice my Pittsburghesian use of 'anymore' to mean 'these days.'))

Did anyone ever say 'da bomb' without irony? Every time I hear it I think of Ben Affleck in "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back."

Great ideas, everyone! A couple of these are serious contenders. Keep it comin'.

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 7/03/2007 4:06 PM

I'd go for 'hype' but the one I always personally used was 'rad'.

Gawd, we were such nerds back then.

Posted by: Anonymous Jill Myles at 7/04/2007 10:36 AM

People actually said something is "hype"? Really? I think I only ever heard "dope" used on sitcoms, too.

If "the bomb" is out, I'll have to say "kickin'." "Rad" is too late-Eighties. Is "sweet" too turn-of-the-millennia?

Posted by: Blogger Sharon GR at 7/05/2007 8:12 AM