Monday, December 31, 2007

WordWatch 2007 - The Final Countdown

(Psst! Scroll past this for a new ARC giveaway in Friday's post.)

December 29:

Great day yesterday, almost five thousand words. I wrote a disturbing scene that went a lot further than originally intended. Clothes that were supposed to stay on, ended up on the floor. Oops.

Words remaining: 11,154
Words per day to meet goal: 3,718

UPDATES:

December 30, 10AM:

Woo! Burning up the keyboard, plus I realized one of the Wicked Game tie-in short stories* I've started has almost 800 words, so I added that to the total. Also wrote 3,688 words, all before the football game. This could actually happen!

Total Words 2007: 293,315
Words remaining: 6,685
Words per day to meet goal: 3,342

December 31, 12:21 AM:

So close. Just found out we're getting a new foster later today (long, sad story, but it's kind of an emergency), but hopefully I'll be able to find five or six hours to write to finish off the three hundred thousand words. Problem is, I'm at the end of a scene and I'm not sure what's next, so it could be slower going than the last several days. Maybe something will come to me in my sleep.

Total words 2007: 296,713
Words remaining: 3,287

*to appear FREE on my website, one per month, starting with the release date

December 31, 10:52 PM

DONE!!

Total words 2007: 300,005

The champagne, she is a-poppin'. Happy New Year, everyone. I'm taking tomorrow off.

----------------
Now playing: Smile - Elastica
via FoxyTunes

Labels: ,

Wow, you're going to make the 300K words goal that I didn't make this year! Yay you! *cheers you to the finish line!*

-Catie

Posted by: Blogger Catie at 12/30/2007 4:17 PM

No way! That's not possible. Are you counting the new scenes you wrote during rewrites? That's about 50K for me between Voice of Crow and Wicked Game.

Thanks for the cheers!

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 12/30/2007 4:51 PM

Oh, yeah, I counted 'em. I got about 270K this year, and I've pretty much taken the last two weeks off. I'm sure I shouldn't have, but I'm just too tired to care at this point. I've got to go back to work tomorrow. Shoulda today, but what the hell, tomorrow starts a whole new year. Clean slate and all that.

Good luck!

-Catie

Posted by: Blogger Catie at 12/31/2007 6:22 PM

Congragulations! I knew you could do it, Kid!

Posted by: Anonymous Anonymous at 1/01/2008 8:20 AM

WOOO CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Posted by: Blogger Catie at 1/01/2008 10:13 AM

Congrats! (And curse you for getting that Europe song stuck in my head. Time to watch some Arrested Development...)

Happy New Year!

Posted by: Blogger Rob S. at 1/01/2008 6:18 PM

Impressive.........most impressive.

Posted by: Anonymous Paul S. at 1/01/2008 11:59 PM

Thanks, everyone! Catie, you deserved a vacation after all you've accomplished. And didn't you do 400K last year? There's only so long a human being can keep up that kind of pace.

I don't have a word count goal this year--the second half of the year will depend on what sells. But if I get to Thanksgiving and discover I'm near a major benchmark, I'll motor ahead and try to make another meaningless wordcount goal. If nothing else, it keeps me motivated to work through the holidays.

Sorry about the song, Rob. It happens to me every night when we take the dog out for "The Final Pottieeeeees!"

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 1/02/2008 11:59 AM

Yeah, I did 400K in 2006 and...now I have to go check. 250K in 2003. 305K in 2004. 300K or so in 2005. 269K in 2007.

That's...1,524,000 words in the last 5 years.

...good grod. O.O