Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Today marks one year since the auction for Shade, originally known as Generation Ghost. The climate in publishing was frosty, to say the least (paralyzed with fear, to say the most). Black Wednesday had occurred only five days before, when three major publishing houses announced major cutbacks. We were all pretty scared. (Come to think of it, we still are, but Black Wednesday was a heaping concentrated dose of ACK!.)
But Generation Ghost sold, on proposal, no less, to the publisher I'd dreamed of for years, since I'd first started reading YA: Simon Pulse. There was much rejoicing!
Even as it happened, I never realized that a year later I'd be sitting here with a box of Advance Review Copies (ARCs).
(Click for larger version.)
To celebrate the first anniversary of this unlikely occurrence, I'm doing a low-key giveaway of an a Shade ARC. This will probably be the only copy (other than the Blogtoberfest prize) to be given out before Christmas, because I still need to figure out how many ARCs are going where for what purposes. (I snagged myself a short extension on my Bring on the Night rewrite until next Monday, so I'm still slammed for time.)
So to enter to win a Shade ARC, tell me what odd anniversaries you celebrate. Something other than birthdays, deaths, weddings. First dates? Adopting a pet? The first time you saw Star Wars in the movie theatre?
Tedious Rules to keep my butt from being sued:
1. Contest open to U.S. residents only. This isn't because I'm cheap and don't want to pay international postage. It's because I'm trying to keep this contest legal and can only keep track of one country's laws at a time. Sorry!
2. Retail value: $0. ARCs can't be resold. But why would you want to?
3. Odds of winning depend upon the number of participants.
4. To enter, simply leave a comment. On Tuesday, December 15 at 11:59pm, a winner will be drawn using a random number generator. NOTE: THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES. The winner is Carrie!
5. Names of winners will be posted in the comments of this post, and in the first post to appear after the drawing. Winners have one week to claim their prize by contacting me via e-mail at jeri AT jerismithready DOT com. If the winner does not contact me by that time, I will draw another name at random.
6. No purchase is required.