Wednesday, December 01, 2010
It's only December 1, but I'm in a Santa-rrific mood, so this month I'll be giving away lots of stuff. Next week I'll do a fundraiser for Heifer International, where you can take home something from St. Nick's Bag O' Book Goodies (signed ARCs and books, cover flats, swag). The following week I'll be doing a Shade-related giveaway for the Winter Solstice (and Aura and Zachary's birthday).
But this week... it's zombies.
Unless you've been living under a rotting carcass, you probably know that AMC's The Walking Dead is television's hottest new show (according to the cover of Entertainment Weekly, at least). It's based on the bestselling graphic novel series of the same name by Robert Kirkman.
I like the show, but I love the graphic novel. It's my third favorite series after Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan and Neil Gaiman's Sandman (yes, in that order--I love you, Morpheus, but Spider Jerusalem IS. MY. HERO.)
I read The Walking Dead, along with lots of other zombie material*, last year while I was writing Bring on the Night, the third in my WVMP vampire series, which features, among other big events, a giant vampire-zombie battle scene. It was by far the most fun research ever.
So this week, in honor of the season finale of The Walking Dead, I'm giving away five signed copies of Bring on the Night, as well as a grand prize: a signed copy of Bring on the Night plus The Walking Dead compendium, which includes the first eight volumes of the graphic novel.
Here are the rules:
1. Entries will be accepted in five different forums (fora?):
a. Here at this blog post (leave a comment).
b. At the Pocket After Dark blog post (leave a comment; membership in Pocket After Dark community required).
c. On my Facebook "fan" page (comment on the BRING ON THE NIGHT/WALKING DEAD status update)
d. On my Facebook profile page (comment on the BRING ON THE NIGHT/WALKING DEAD status update)
e. On Twitter (tweet using the hashtag #therunningdead. All entries must mention "BRING ON THE NIGHT." Beyond that, be creative.)
2. On Sunday, December 5, at 11:59pm, using a random number generator, I will draw one winner from each forum to win the signed copy of Bring on the Night. For the grand prize, I will randomly draw a winner from all entries in all five fora (yep, apparently that's the word).
3. You may enter once in each forum for a maximum of five entries.
4. Retail value of prize: Bring on the Night, $7.99; Walking Dead compendium, $59.99.
5. US addresses only. Sorry, but if international folks won all six prizes, it would cost me nearly $200 to run this contest. Santa Jeri's family wouldn't be happy to hear that she blew her Christmas budget by December 5.
Thanks for taking part in the contest. And remember, kids, fast zombies rule!
*The other zombie standout was World War Z by Max Brooks, which is absolutely brilliant science fiction, though it's classified as general fiction (it bugs me when SF is shelved in gen fic just because it's accessible).