Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Do NOT have a heart attack, but here's another blog post

First, thanks for all the wonderful comments left on Monday's post. You guys made me cry MORE, dammit! I am very lucky to have such readers and friends--over the months and years that I've been publishing, many readers have become friends, though most of us haven't met in person.

I mentioned in the comments that Meadow had to go to the vet to get her foot stitched. Turns out they just needed to put some skin glue on it and bandaged it up:

I know, she's so good at looking pathetic. She has to wear a baggie over the foot when she goes out in the snow, to keep it dry. Today we took her back to get the bandage changed, and the vet put on a purple one for the Ravens! Yay! (Go ahead, Steelers fans--I dare you to boo my crippled dog!!)

What happened (we think) was, she stepped on the remnants of a wheat stalk in the field near our house, where we take her for walks. Never yelped or anything, even as it was gouging a hole in her foot. Greyhounds are funny.

Today the mail lady brought me an ARC of Seanan McGuire's upcoming Late Eclipses, the fourth in her October Daye urban fantasy series, plus a copy of Seanan's music CD, Wicked Girls. I had no idea she sang, but she's amazing!

The Toby Daye series is my current favorite, adult or YA. The main character is a half-human, half-fae (changling) detective who says she's not a hero (she's lying). It's noir, but not in a self-conscious, trying-to-be-Raymond-Chandler way. It's published for adults, but I can't think of anything in it that would be inappropriate for teens. There's even a really sweet teen fae dude, Quentin, on whom I have an age-inappropriate crush.

Here's what I said officially about Book 3, An Artificial Night:

Hold onto your candles, folks! The darkness deepens and the tension spikes in AN ARTIFICIAL NIGHT, as this series just gets better and better with every page. The Toby Daye books blend a complex, realistic faerie world with the dark wit of the best film noir. McGuire's nobles and ruffians (and noble ruffians) feel real enough to touch--not that I would dare. Hands down, my favorite urban fantasy series.

Yep, I managed to get through an entire cover quote without once using the word "ass." (Seriously, check out my first four or five cover quotes--it's in there somewhere, usually combined with "kick-", but still, a disturbing habit.)

Anyway, according to my cat Misha, my time at the computer is over, and my time in the kitchen making his food has begun.

Labels: ,

Awww! Doggies always look SOOOO sad when they have bandages on! I'm glad Meadow is okay... :)

Lisa

Posted by: Blogger Lisa Kessler at 1/12/2011 4:17 PM

Awe, poor Meadow. She's beautiful, and I think I've failed to mention how much I love her name. When we adopted ours (many years ago, she has since passed) her racing name was Racing Spirit. We just called her RC which is what the rescue had been calling her.

Go Ravens! :D

Posted by: Blogger Brooke Reviews at 1/12/2011 4:17 PM

Lisa: I think she would've preferred blue to the pink. ;-)

Brooke: Aww, Racing Spirit is a great name, and so is RC! Meadow's racing name was Pa's Sue B. Yeah, it makes no sense and isn't catchy at all. I think her call name was "Medway" (also makes no sense, but we call her that sometimes), so the adoption agency named her "Meadow" and we kept it.

I saw on a dog obedience show somewhere that two-syllable names that end in a vowel are best, because you can say them happily. One-syllable names can get mixed up with commands. I think most people instinctively choose names like these for their dogs because they're fun.

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 1/12/2011 4:29 PM

That end in a vowel *sound*, I mean, not necessarily a vowel letter.

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 1/12/2011 4:30 PM

Oh poor doggy!

So jealous about the ARC of Late Eclipses (though I've already pre-ordered it so just a couple of months longer to wait!)

I love that series so much!

Posted by: OpenID mercurialdragon at 1/12/2011 4:49 PM

Oh, Meadow. You poor, poor baby!

Feel better soon!

Katie

P.S. Go Ravens!

Posted by: Blogger Katie at 1/12/2011 5:16 PM

Poor Meadow! They are so frail looking yet show no pain. My Whippit had a hole in his side from hitting the corner of the coffee table - never made a peep.
I must start that book series. 've heard so much about it. I'm always up for an age inappropriate crush. LOL

Posted by: Blogger Karen at 1/12/2011 8:34 PM

mercurialdragon: I know, isn't it wonderful? They just keep getting better and better, which is rare for a series.

Katie: Thanks for the well wishes for Meadow. And woo-hoo, Ravens! ;-)

Karen: I ease my guilt by telling myself that hey, Quentin's fae, so his age is irrelevant. Then again, since the fae live much longer than humans, maybe that makes it worse. ;-)

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 1/13/2011 12:36 PM