Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Underdogs Rock, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love DA BWAHA

This is Meadow, our retired racing greyhound. If you're one of my Facebook friends, you'll recognize her as my profile pic.

Meadow and I have a lot in common.

• We're both goofy.
  • We're both sweet (most of the time).
  • We're both sprinters.
  • We're both a little dim-witted:

• We're both highly food-motivated.
  • But luckily, we both have fast metabolisms.
  • We both have chronic back pain (here's her story).
  • We both love snow, but hate when it gets all crusty.
  • We both love cats, but hate when they step on our faces.

Most relevant to today's post, we've both never won a race. As you can see from Meadow's brief career, the closest she came was second.

I've never won an election or a popularity contest. Neither have my books. Sure, they've won awards, but those were always chosen by a small group of judges. Never by the masses. I've never had a best-selling novel (yet).

So when I was told that Shade had been chosen as a finalist in the DA BWAHA competition, my first thought was, Oh, cool, how flattering! I confess, I began a fist-pump.

But this happy thought was quickly chomped by: Oh God, no. Public humiliation time. My fist fell to my side, only half-pumped.

Because in the DA BWAHA, not only do books go head-to-head in a series of elimination, March Madness-type "bracketed" contests, but authors are supposed to campaign on behalf of their books. Trash-talk their opponents, bribe readers, and generally beg for votes so we can win an iPad or something.

I know, right? Seriously not my style. More like my worst nightmare.

But then I thought, hey, I'm not in high school anymore. I have tons of Twitter followers, Facebook friends, Street Team members--people who believe in me and who genuinely loved Shade. Maybe I could make it past the first round. Let's see who I'm facing there.

Oh. Nalini Singh. A hugely popular bestselling author who, from the little time I've spent with her, is ten times as sweet as I am--probably even at home, where I'm secretly a lunatic bitchface. It doesn't even matter which book of hers has been nominated, because they're all amazing (for the record, it's Archangel's Kiss, which some people are picking to win the entire competition).

"Wait, wait!" you say. "Nalini Singh isn't a YA author."

Yeah, for some reason Shade was nominated not in the YA category, but in Science Fiction/Fantasy/Paranormal Romance (SFF/PNR). An adult category. Why? I have no idea. The world-building? The romance? Okay, but other paranormals in the YA category have those, too.

Whatever. I'm not complaining, I'm just confused (as usual--something else Meadow and I have in common).

But hey, like Meadow, I'm eternally optimistic. She, for the chance to steal cat food, and me, for the chance just once to beat the popular girl book.

So vote for SHADE in Round 1, Set 2, today from noon to midnight Central Time (that's 1pm to 1am Eastern).

Do it to be subversive. Do it to stun the world.

Do it because you love YA books, because you love Meadow, because you love me.

Do it because underdogs rock.

Labels: , , ,

I just looked at the category and I will totally vote for your book. Out of all of them it truly is the BEST! At least to me. :)

Posted by: Blogger Awesomesauce Book Club at 3/16/2011 12:19 AM

I was the first to vote and you are officially ahead 100% :) You deserve to win SHADE waS AMAZING! can't wait for Shift

Posted by: Blogger Aeriell at 3/16/2011 1:03 PM

Did my part and voted. good Luck! It is an honor to be nominated

Posted by: Blogger DavidH at 3/16/2011 1:08 PM

I voted, but it doesn't look too good for Shade.

*fingers crossed*

Posted by: Blogger Katie at 3/16/2011 1:34 PM

I too voted for Shade and I too was completely confused on how you snagged a slot there and not in the YA category. :(

Either way, the verdict is I read your book, loved it, and haven't touched the other authors books, except the first of the series...and nothing since that.

It doesn't look good for Shade but you should know that it was one of the best books I read last year AND my mother-in-law loved it too! :)

Posted by: Blogger Jess (The Cozy Reader) at 3/16/2011 3:16 PM

Love this post! I'm terrible at trolling for votes, too. Or trash-talking. Can't we just pass notes in the library?

Posted by: Blogger Jeffe Kennedy at 3/16/2011 3:30 PM

Thanks to everyone who voted and spread the word! SHADE didn't win, but your support really did make a difference: it got more votes than some of the WINNERS in other matchups. :-) And without the campaign, it would've been annihilated instead of just decimated, as my husband put it.

Besides, y'all made me feel like a rock star this week!

It was an honor to be nominated, and now I'm off to vote for my (former) opponent in the next round.

Posted by: Blogger Jeri at 3/18/2011 9:29 AM

THANK YOU Somuch s this site is very help ful for all over indians.lot of stuff is here in this website am already bookmarked for revisiting

PNR STATUS verification made easy through our website via mobile calling & sms & website also.

Posted by: Blogger Railhub.In at 1/18/2014 6:09 AM

THANK YOU for giving useful information for nettigens thank you I hope so everyone can get great feelings from these article .

SPECIAL TRAINS For Indian railway special trains introduced for festivals & occations & clear extra rush.

Posted by: Blogger Railhub.In at 1/18/2014 6:10 AM