Subtitle: Everything You Need to Know About What's Coming Out May 1 (and Haven't Been Afraid to Ask)
This is going to serve as a FAQ post, so I won't do a big ol' intro, just the facts. But THANKS for stopping by to find out what's what with SHADE, SHIFT, and SHINE!
(Shade trilogy Book 3) is coming out May 1 in both hardcover and paperback, with identical covers:
ISBN Hardcover: 978-1442439450
ISBN Paperback: 978-1442439467
If you preorder Shine from my local bookstore, Constellation Books
, I will autograph and personalize it for you, and you might even get it before May 1! Usually my books arrive in stores about a week before they hit the shelves, so the moment they arrive at Constellation, Lauretta will email me, I'll hop in the car and go sign them, then she'll ship them out that same day.
*picks up car keys, stares at inbox*
International readers: To order from Constellation (probably a faster way to get SHINE than Book Depository, honestly), use the "Email Us" link on the left side of their website. Lauretta will contact you for your credit card information for shipping.
If you preorder from anywhere
, Kilt & Keeley (the fabulous SHADE fan site) will give you a free gift
: a cute-beyond-belief Zach & Logan trading card! They will also enter you in the grand prize giveaway, a books/music/swag cornucopia that grows bigger the more preorders they get. Their goal is 100, and they're already a third of the way there.
Remember, EVERYONE who preorders gets a trading card. Nice, huh?
NOTE #1: all online booksellers are carrying both the hardcover and paperback of Shine, so be sure you're getting the format you want before you hit "order."
NOTE #2: Before you decide between the hardcover and paperback, read #4 below.
NOTE #3: Some Barnes & Noble stores will be carrying the SHINE paperback (but call before you go in with high hopes), but for now, none will be carrying the hardcover. They will order it for you, though, and hey, if enough people order it, who knows? Maybe they'll start stocking it. We can always dream.
(Shade trilogy Book 2) is coming out in paperback May 1. This is the one and only SHIFT paperback cover. It is different from the hardcover jacket, which is typical for a paperback release.
NOTE #1: There are no notes. SHIFT paperback = one cover = May 1. Pretty straightforward.
(Shade trilogy Book 1) which is already in paperback as of April 2011
with this cover...
and this ISBN: 978-1416994077
...will be reissued May 1 with a new cover to match SHINE and SHIFT:
...but will have the same ISBN: 978-1416994077
If you order the SHADE paperback online today, you'll almost certainly get the old cover.
If you order the SHADE paperback online May 1, you might still get the old cover. Most stores have a stockpile of the old paperback in their warehouse, and the publisher can't force them to ship them back and get the new cover. So it could be days or weeks before you can be sure to get the new cover from say, Amazon or BN.com or Book Depository. Once I've confirmed that these individual online booksellers are shipping the new cover, I will post it here and spread the word far and wide
. With confetti.
EDITED 4/26 TO ADD: YES! I placed an order for a SHADE paperback from Barnes & Noble.com yesterday, and it arrived today with a new cover. Now, it's not a total guarantee you'll get the new one (it's possible they have both lying around the warehouse) but it's a good sign. So order the new SHADE now from BN.com. I also ordered one from Amazon, so stay tuned...
EDITED 4/27 TO ADD: Amazon is still shipping the old SHADE cover. As of now BN.com is shipping all three matching SHADE series paperbacks--woo-hoo!--but the SHINE hardcover is still listed as preorder.
There are two ways to be sure you'll get the new cover:
1) Walk into a store, see it on the shelf, and buy it.
2) Order from Constellation Books
and tell them in the comments that you want the new cover (or the old cover, if you prefer--they still have a few of those left, but not many). As a bonus, it'll be signed and personalized--woo-hoo!
4. Some summary notes:
- The release date for all these editions, as well as the SHINE ebook, is May 1.
- The hardcover versions of SHADE and SHIFT will remain available. They have these covers:
- The only edition to go out of print will be the SHADE paperback with the original cover:
- There is not, nor has there ever been, a SHINE hardcover jacket to match the design of the SHADE and SHIFT hardcovers. The publisher didn't change their mind and decide to do a different cover after designing the original, like the Wolfsbane situation. The SHADE series cover reboot was in the works more than a year before SHINE's release. I just couldn't tell anyone about it until November--aaaaah, killer sekrit!
- This means the only way to have a perfectly matched set of covers, in both format and design, is to buy the SHINE paperback, the SHIFT paperback, and the new SHADE paperback. Not saying you have to, but I know lots of readers prefer it this way.
- To do this, I recommend preordering SHINE and SHIFT and then keeping an eye on this blog (or the shelves of your local store) for when the new SHADE paperback is available. Or as I said above, order from Constellation Books and tell them you want the new SHADE cover.
However and wherever you buy these books, and in whatever quantity or editions, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You make it possible for me to keep writing.
I think that's it. Any questions?
EDITED TO ADD: Here's a question I just got on Twitter.
Q: Will any of the books with the new covers be for sale at the RT convention this week?
A: I doubt it. The bookseller probably placed the order several weeks ago, and the copies with the new covers were just printed at the end of March.
BUT, I'm told that 75 new SHADEs will be in the 250 goody bags for Teen Day on Saturday. The goody bags are for teens only, though I've heard they give out any extras at the end. So come to the Teen Day Party 6:15 - 7pm Saturday and you might get lucky! (EDITED TO ADD: there will also be 75 more in the Teen Day Goody Room, which I'm pretty sure is open to everyone.)
Q from Facebook: Any chance there'll be a boxed set in the future?
A: Only if the series becomes a surprise bestseller. HINT HINT--only readers can make this happen, so...spread the word!
Labels: SHADE series