Since I hold the audio rights to all my books except Shade, Shift, and Shine (excellent audiobooks of which are already available through Audible, iTunes, Amazon, etc.), I can hire narrators myself.
ACX is a marketplace site where authors and narrators find one another. Once we've produced the audiobook, it gets distributed by Audible/Amazon/iTunes.
This is the process:
- I add a book to the site, like I did for This Side of Salvation. I include a short excerpt to be read as an audition piece.
- A narrator "auditions" by recording themselves narrating the excerpt, then uploading the recording to the site.
- I listen to the audition, and if I like it, I make an offer.
- Since I'm pretty strapped for cash right now (okay, always), the narrator and I split the royalties, rather than me paying them upfront.
- If I make an offer and it's accepted by the narrator by 11:59pm Tuesday, the royalty rate will be 50% (but can escalate up to 90% depending how many books are sold). However, any offers accepted as of March 12 or later will earn a flat royalty rate of 40%, which means the narrator and I each get 20%, no matter how many books are sold.
Check out ACX's How It Works page for more details.
And if you're interested in auditioning (preferably by Tuesday morning), simply create a narrator profile, then click on one or more of these titles to audition. Good luck!
This Side of Salvation (male)
Requiem for the Devil (male)
Eyes of Crow (male or female, preferably female)